The Tortoise Website

The Tortoise Website
Click on image to go to Author website. "THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT." Eccl. 9:11

Sunday 5 February 2012

Testing! Testing!

Friday 10 December 2011

Jesus said: “In patience possess your souls.” Luke 21:19

One of the things I wish for is self-possession; the ability to react to extreme provocation with patience and forbearance.  This is not easy because I am often worn down by continual negative commentary, which is often unrelenting and drives me to distraction.

James says: “...the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work.” James 1:3-4

The only consolation I can take from a difficult situation is that it is designed by God for the purpose of producing mature Christian character. But I often feel that I am only expressing my carnal nature as the worst aspects of my character are brought out in anger, irritation, annoyance, impatience, resentment and wrath.

Proverbs 16:32 says: “He who is a slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.”

But how is this to be accomplished? Only by continual testing and adjustment it seems!

No comments:

Post a Comment