The Tortoise Website

The Tortoise Website
Click on image to go to Author website. "THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT." Eccl. 9:11

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Making A Drama Out A Crisis!

Saturday 10 December 2011

In Luke 21:34 Jesus says: “...take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with (the) cares of this life...”

I find it is so easy for me to be caught up in material concerns and to become worried and anxious about the outcome of events in which I am involved.

At every adverse circumstance the temptation is to react with feelings of gloom and doom as though some great tragedy had occurred. Then to rant and rave, moan and complain until it becomes a big drama in which I am swept up and in which I am forced to involve all my emotions and energies.
Now that I am retired all I really want to do is to write and publish my books. I keep hoping that all the drama surrounding the work I am having done on the house will be over by the end of December, so I can look forward to spending my time on my creative endeavours in 2012.

I would like nothing more than to have a heart that is unburdened by the cares of this life, but just as in politics, it seems that we are driven by events beyond our control.  It is not that Jesus does not expect us to have cares and concerns, but he warns us not to allow them to overwhelm us and distract us from what really matters.  I keep on having to remind myself to step back from events and to get some much needed perspective.  I think this is what Jesus meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment