The Tortoise Website

The Tortoise Website
Click on image to go to Author website. "THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT." Eccl. 9:11

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Why I am a Christian by Alan Moreton

All the rational arguments in the world and all the so-called proofs of God’s existence did not convince me to become a Christian. These are merely a means of bolstering one’s faith after the event.

I became a Christian because God willed it. “For He says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.’ So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.” Rom. 9:15-16

It is impossible to will yourself to become a Christian. You can will yourself to adopt the Christian religion but it takes a supernatural act of God in accordance with his plan and purpose for an individual to become a son of God. You cannot will yourself to be fathered, it is impossible!

“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God.” Rom 8;14.

Jesus makes this plain in John 3:3 “...unless one is born again (or born from above), he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

The situation that caused me to become a Christian at the age of seventeen was a supernatural confluence between my hearing John 3.16 and God’s spirit acting upon it to create spiritual life within me.

When I heard: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotton Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life,” I heard God speaking directly to me and He imparted to me the faith to believe it, which engendered new life in me from the seed of this word.

This was not something I did but something which happened to me by the will of God.  Then I acted, by submitting to Christ as my Lord and Saviour.
I was not seeking God; I was not planning on becoming a Christian. I did not consider all the reasonable and rational arguments and then make a logical decision to serve God. No, all that came after God supernaturally intervened in my life. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” 2 Cor. 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment