The Tortoise Website

The Tortoise Website
Click on image to go to Author website. "THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT." Eccl. 9:11

Friday 23 March 2012

Review of Counselling For Toads by Robert de Board.

This book was recommended to me by my daughter. It is subtitled: A Psychological Adventure and I was more intrigued and excited by the subtitle than the title, as I am not particularly enamoured of the counselling process.

This book is based on Mr. Toad, the main character in The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I have not read The Wind in the Willows, this was one children’s book that passed me by, but I do actually own a copy, so I might read it.

Counselling for Toads is a very readable pastiche, in which the author, an organisational consultant and best –selling author of a textbook on counselling, uses the language and ideas of transactional analysis as his counselling method.
Toad gets in touch with his inner parent, adult and child as Heron, the analyst encourages him to explore his feelings and to develop EQ, his emotional intelligence.

Transactional Analysis is the brain child of Eric Berne who popularised the method in the sixties with books such as Games People Play and I’m OK, You’re OK, which I may have read, but have largely forgotten.

At 152 pages and written in lively language Counselling For Toads is actually a very enjoyable book and is an original approach to counselling. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment