The Tortoise Website

The Tortoise Website
Click on image to go to Author website. "THE RACE IS NOT TO THE SWIFT." Eccl. 9:11

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Doing our duty.

Tuesday 06 December 2011

In Luke 17; 10 Jesus says: “...when you have done all those things which you are commanded to do say ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.’”

From this I gather that we must not think we have done anything extra –ordinary or give ourselves praise for only performing what it is our duty to do. Every act of love and service is merely our duty and should be performed with humility without expecting either gratitude or praise.
Jesus says in v.9 “Does he thank that servant because he did all those things that were commanded him? I THINK NOT!”
Paul says something similar in Romans 12:1 “Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.”
So why do I feel put upon when I do not receive either gratitude or praise when I think I have deserved it?  Probably, because I forget that I have only done what I am required to do. Such is human nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment